Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Logic of Madie

I knew it had to happen, after all she is in Grade One, and kids do talk. But I was hoping my granddaughter wouldn't question the existence of Santa Claus for a few years yet. It was not to be. Kids talk. Funny she hasn't actually asked me if I think there is a Santa. She's just saying that some "people" say that Mummy and Daddy are really Santa. And before I could respond to that age-old statement, she tells me she has a plan to learn the truth.

Hmm, what is she hatching? I wonder. She says that she has it "all figured out!" She's very pleased with herself. "You know, Grammie," she lowers her voice conspiritorally, "Mummy is allergic to peanut butter." I nod seriously as Mummy's allergy is life-threatening. "SO," she emphasizes, "I'm going to put out peanut butter cookies for Santa. And if they aren't eaten on Christmas morning, then I'll KNOW!" she finishes triumphantly. "Good thinking," I agree. Actually I'm quite impressed with her logic. She's thought this out very well. I'm not sure who is going to get those peanut butter cookies yet; it certainly won't be Mummy. But I'm sure Madie will figure that one out too. She's a very logical six-year-old!

No comments: