Wednesday, December 24, 2008

HO! HO! HO!

I believe in Santa Claus!

Even though one Christmas Eve long ago someone (who shall remain nameless, but you know who you are!) broke the the news that Santa was a myth. I owned my faith in the old guy back then - I was as sure he existed as I was of myself. What more tragic time to be told that your letter to the North Pole really went "to the dead letter room at the post office." My Christmas spirit collapsed like a deflated balloon. My innocence stolen in a second. I do admit it ruined my Christmas that year, but it didn't get me down long. Unfortunately all children go through the experience at one point, the important part is how we deal with it.

I had a family that except for that one fateful night keeps Christmas close. And I learned that Santa does exist when we look for him. I have seen him at work over the years, but this Christmas I got a profound reminder of how real he truly is.

When my colleagues and I decided to work at the community kitchen rather than draw names for gifts, I saw Santa's spirit in the relieved and appreciative faces of the clients who lined up at the door that night. I heard it in their thank you's, and not one of them failed to say it.

As President of the Fredericton SPCA, I saw it at the shelter - the lobby brimming with gifts and donations people had dropped off. Don't tell me there is no Santa!
I feel him in my heart, and I am truly grateful.

The birth of Jesus put the love and hope in Christmas; Santa puts in the anticipation and acts of generosity in His name. A reminder that there is humanity within humanity.

So here's hoping you find Santa tonight. Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!

No comments: