Saturday, January 24, 2009

Would you be shocked, Grammie?

I picked my granddaughter up from her after-school program yesterday. We did the haircut thing together and afterwards decided on Mickey D's for supper as she was staying the night with Grampy and me. She wanted to eat at home so we went through the busy drive-thru. We're chatting amicably as we waited for our turn to order, and she keeps asking me if I've paid yet.

When I finally did get to that window and the purchase was complete we were sitting between there and the pick up window. She says, "Would you be shocked if I told you something, Grammie?"

"I don't know," I replied, "it depends on what you tell me."

"Well, I'll tell you after we get the food," she promises. This completed, she takes a big breath and says, "You're going to be shocked, Grammie. I have something to tell you!"

"Okay," I replied bracing myself for what is about to come.

Pause. "I ate supper at McDonald's LAST night too! Are you shocked?"

"Not really," I respond with a laugh. "It's okay. It's Friday night and you're staying with Grammie."

"Okay, we won't tell Mummy," she grins in the back seat, holding her precious Happy Meal and sneaking one fry.

Then it dawns on my why she was asking so often if I had paid. She's too smart for her own good!

No comments: