Friday, March 20, 2009

What's in a Name?

Although I admired, respected and appreciated the Morell name, it was still hard to give up my birth surname, Manzer, 34 years ago this June. I also remember thinking as a child that I didn't have my mother's maiden name, MacDougall, officially attached to me. I was, after all, part of both. But then my mother was part Smith and part MacDougall. And my father was part Young and part Manzer. So much of our personal history "hidden". As women we generally have accepted the tradition and in today's society not everyone wants to deal with the length of a hyphenated surname.

Mind you I really don't regret changing my name and in fact encouraged my younger daughter to become a Kennedy. There is something about that togetherness as a family. Yet at the same time I recently found out that a person with whom I've been connected for the past few years has a long-standing connection with my family and she didn't realize WHO I was by birth. I sometimes wonder what we miss out on in life just because of a name.

This philosophical dilemma came to mind again this week. My daughter has relinquished her married name and has opted to go back to Morell. My granddaughter didn't want to have a totally different name from her mother, so her parents agreed to let her become Madison Morell-Whalen. I think that this is a healthy move for both of them. I congratulate them because it was a joint decision and handled very well. Madie is most pleased to share her beloved grandfather's name. And we're happy for her. I know she will do both surnames proud as it became official yesterday.

So what's in a name? I'm on the fence. But, in the long run, I believe no matter what we are called, we are who we are and no less. Be proud of it whether you wear the label or not.

No comments: