Thursday, November 6, 2008

Unexpected Surprises

My granddaughter runs to give me a big hug when she's surprised to see me. She lets me kiss her cheek but she's not the overly kissy type. I sat with her last night while her mother went for a power walk. We were reading books before she went to bed, and she had picked out those she wanted to read herself and the ones that I would do.

She was doing a great job reading a book about Big Bird who was playing a "Big Bird Says" game on the rendition of "Simon Says". So he was asking all the Sesame Street characters to do all these different things. Madie read a line, "Big Bird says kiss someone wearing a hat." She stops after that line and hesitates.

Looking up at me she says, "Grammie, do you wear hats?" I'm thinking she's asking because I doubt she's ever seen me with one - I am definitely NOT a hat person (they give me a headache for starters but that's another issue.) I reply, "No, Madie, I don't very often wear a hat." She nods and looks back down at the her book.

Then all of a sudden she turns the book over and lays it down beside her, and says, "Oh well ... I'll kiss you anyway!" And she leans over and plants a huge kiss on my cheek. She picks up her book while I contain my surprise ... a very pleasant one at that. "Thank you Madie," I say, "that was very nice!"

"No problem, Grammie!"

Yes, my sweet, it WAS no problem at all.

No comments: